My Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

I survived the first week!

I got through my first week in Psychiatry without going insane. Pun intended hehe. :) Not to say that it wasn't stressful. I haven't been in an acute adult inpatient unit in a while, so my techniques are a little rusty, but by the end of the week I felt more confident than ever. The thrill and excitement about being a real nurse started to come back and take over the anxiety and self-criticism of the first days. Today, when I left a message for a physician, I had a fuzzy feeling when I was saying, "Hello Dr. so and so, this is *****, a nurse from the ***** inpatient unit." Sounds silly, but it still feels so surreal! I wonder when it will hit me that this is it. I am it. Hmmm...

On a different note, I am really feeling the toll of working full-time. I have never worked a full patient load full-time. I am really tired! I worked all throughout nursing school on free days and after classes at times, but that was at the bank so I guess it was much easier. The closest to full time work was preceptorship, but that wasn't paid- and I still wasn't working my full scope of practice. This week I work five 8s. So the regularity is probably what's feeling unusual to me. I always start at 0700 hrs and leave at 1500 hrs. I know i'll get used to it; i'm just being impatient. I want to be seasoned nurse already! haha!
Today was a really hot day. It's really starting to warm up here in my beautiful Canadian city. Hubby and I had sushi coz we didn't really want any hot food. I'm loving sushi right now. Here are pictures of my favourites.


Negitoro roll (fatty tuna and green onion)

Spicy tuna roll (pretty strightforward- tuna and spicy sauce)

Smoked salmon and cream cheese roll

(just what the name says plus crabmeat)

Just writing about it makes me crave it more!!! But i'll hold off for now and maybe i'll just make a pot of tea... yes... that's what i will do.

Oh getting back to nursing, I received my new hire package in the mail today for my other job. I am so excited! So many forms to fill out though! Confidentiality agreement, union stuff, payroll stuff, HR and benefits. Thank goodness no more upfront fees! I need mt first paycheque! :) That's it for me guys! Take it easy and happy nursing week! Au revoir!

P.S. I found this status on facebook you guys may want to post it too..."Being a NURSE means you carry immense responsibility and very little authority. You step into people's lives and make a difference. Some bless you, others curse you. You see people at their worst and best. You see life begin and end. You see people's capacity for love, courage, and endurance. IT'S NURSES APPRECIATION WEEK. REPOST IF YOU ARE A NURSE, LOVE A NURSE, AND/OR APPRECIATE A NURSE!"

1 comment: